Located adjacent to teaching blocks which date from between 1887 to 2012, the new humanities building is in keeping in style, yet features state-of-the-art technologies.
BBS Construction was awarded this project which includes the strip out and demolition of the former gymnasium building currently being used as a sixth form area. In its place is the construction of a new three storey Humanities Building, including associated below ground drainage and external works.
The building offers a new sixth form centre, new English classrooms, new general teaching classrooms and a new library. Within the new building, the Sixth Form Centre and WCs are located at lower ground floor level, with classrooms, WCs and office space at upper ground floor level, and a library, conference room, classroom and accessible toilet at first floor level.
The new building allows the size of the sixth form to be significantly increased offers better facilities, including a new area for computers and work stations.
The building is sympathetic to it’s surroundings - The design was developed from a careful analysis of the Gothic revival style of the original Victorian school buildings and comprises a design which uses a repeating sawtooth brick detail with a strong emphasis on verticality and repetition, in a similar manner to the existing buttressed hall. The result is an architecture which is both highly contemporary and respectful of its historic context.
Key Project Details
Other Related Projects