Built within the grounds of the prestigious St Edmund’s School, the new classroom block is located adjacent to the main gothic style Grade II Listed school building, St Edmund’s Chapel, built in 1855. The new teaching block has been sympathetically designed and is a conventional build founded on strip foundations with walls constructed from masonry bricks and blocks with insulated cavity.
The building covers three floors with the second floor constructed within the roof. The construction incorporates exposed concrete finishes both on the staircase and the ceilings to the classrooms. Light is allowed to enter the building via large Velfac window units, a large curtain walled entrance and through Velux roof lights in the roof construction. There was a large steel framework to support the large, steeply pitched roof which was finished off with traditional slates and aluminium flashings to the dormers.
The building was finished to a high specification with laminate boarding to the walls in the stairwell with feature brickwork and illuminated handrails. The classrooms were finished with ceiling hung acoustic baffles which contain the lighting and with teacher-wall cupboard units spanning a whole wall incorporating white boards.
Key Project Details
"During the; project review meeting post-completion, the school had very high praise for our efforts and quality of finish. The professional team enjoyed working with us throughout the construction."
BDM, BBS Construction
Other Related Projects